🚀 We're excited to announce a new website is on the way! Take an early look and feel free to offer feedback.

Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions







Q.  What is LCSC’s school code?

A.  LCSC’s Federal school code is 001621.


Q.  What is financial aid?

A.  Financial aid is money provided to help fill the gap between your own resources and the amount needed to pay for the cost of attending college. The primary responsibility for meeting the cost of a college education rests with the student and family to the extent they are able to pay. A formula established by Congress and written in law, takes into account your family income and assets. Financial aid may include grants, loans, scholarships and work-study.


Q.  Should I apply?

A.  Most students are eligible for some sort of financial assistance whether it is gift aid such as grants or self-help aid in the form of student loans and/or college work-study. 


Q.  How do I apply for financial aid?

A.  You must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is completed on-line at https://studentaid.gov


Q.  What is the FAFSA “Priority Deadline”?

A.  The Priority Deadline for LCSC is March 1. To be considered for priority funding, the Central Processor must receive your FAFSA by March 1. You must also be admitted at least tentatively to LCSC by March 1.


Q.  What does “Priority Deadline” mean?

A.  This means you may be considered for additional financial aid if you qualify and funds are available.  This would include work-study, Perkins and Nursing loans, SEOG grants, In-State merit-based scholarships, and Western Undergraduate Exchange and Out-of-State Tuition Scholarships (if you are a new student to LCSC).


Q.  How often do I need to apply for financial aid?

A.  A FAFSA must be completed for each academic year. The new FAFSA is available on October 1 of each year at https://studentaid.gov


Q.  What is an FSA ID and how is it used?

A.  An FSA ID is a username and password combination that is used as student's and parent's identifiers to access personal information in U.S. Department of Education systems. It also acts as the digital signature on some Federal Financial Aid online forms (such as the FAFSA and the MPN). You can create your FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm



Q.  My parents are divorced.  Whose information do I put on the FAFSA?

A.  Use the income/information of the parent with whom you lived with more during the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, use the income of the parent who provided more financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent year that you received support from a parent (including money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, etc.). If the parent whose information is reported is remarried, the student must also include the step-parent’s income information.


Q.  Why do I have to provide parent information?

A.  Parent information is used because Congress has said that families have primary responsibility for funding a college education. Parent information is not necessary if you are independent. If there are extenuating circumstances as to why a dependent student cannot list their parental information please contact the Financial Aid Office.


Q.  I will be getting married. How should I fill out my FAFSA?

A.  FAFSA requires that students file at their current marital status as of the date it is completed. If students are not married as of the date they file the FAFSA, they must file as single. If you need to update your marital status, you need to see the Financial Aid Office. Students may want to discuss the pros and cons of filing as single or waiting and filing as married with their financial aid advisor prior to submitting the FAFSA.


Q.  What if my or my parent’s financial circumstances have changed? Is there anything I can do to update the information?

A.  If you have changes in your financial circumstances (i.e. job loss, loss of child support, death in the family, divorce, disability or other extenuating circumstances) since you completed the FAFSA you may appeal to have your situation reviewed by the Financial Aid Office. If approved, your aid eligibility and financial need may be recalculated, based on the new information. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.


Q.  I have a work-study award. What is “work-study?”

A.  Federal and Atwell Parry (Idaho) work-study are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and want to work while attending college. The work-study program provides on-campus jobs for students and allows you to earn up to a specific dollar award.  You will earn at least federal minimum wage salary and be paid by the hour on the payroll schedule like all LCSC employees. You may not work in excess of 20 clock hours per week while classes are in session. 


Q.  How do I apply for work-study?

A.  Complete the FAFSA by the March 1 Priority Deadline. If you are not initially awarded work-study, you may complete a Work-Study Request Form in the Financial Aid Office. If you have a department that would like to hire you, that department should also turn in a request to the Financial Aid Office stating they would like to hire you.


Q.  How do I apply for an Out-of-State Tuition Scholarship or Western Undergraduate Exchange waiver?

A.  New incoming students who meet the March 1 Priority Deadline will automatically be considered with no separate application required. Returning students and students who missed the Priority Deadline need to complete an Out-of-State Tuition Scholarship Application at the Financial Aid Office and will be considered on a funding availability basis.


Q.  Will scholarships and other resources impact my other financial aid awards?

A.  According to Federal Regulations scholarships and other outside resources that help students with their educationally related expenses are used in calculating eligibility for federal aid. The most common types of resources are scholarships, veterans benefits, athletic awards, vocational rehabilitation awards, tribal awards, etc. The demonstrated financial need (as determined through a processed FAFSA) to meet education costs is reduced as a result of these scholarships and other resources. If scholarship or outside resource information is received after initial awarding has taken place, the amount of federal aid awarded (with the exception of the Pell Grant) may be required to be reduced or cancelled if the total amount of all awards exceeds the annual cost of attendance.


Q.  Do I have to complete an appeal if I am on "Financial Aid Warning"?

A.  No. Financial Aid Warning is a status that indicates the student has not earned sufficient credits or has a cumulative GPA below a 2.0. Students who are on Financial Aid Warning may still receive financial aid, however, students who do not meet the minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements by the end of the next semester will be suspended from financial aid and will be ineligible to receive further financial aid.


Q.  What form do I need to complete to appeal suspension of financial aid?

A.  Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Forms can be picked up at the Financial Aid Office or may be printed off the LCSC Financial Aid website. Along with the form you will need to make sure and submit a letter of explanation detailing the reasons you are appealing as well as any supporting documentation and/or medical releases.


Q.  If I have completed the credits I owe, how do I get my financial aid reinstated?

A.  You can request reinstatement of your eligibility for financial aid if you attend using other resources than Title IV funds and improve your academic record so that you meet all Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, (67% completion rate, 2.0 GPA and within maximum credits). You will need to submit a letter to the Financial Aid Office requesting a review of your financial aid eligbility.


Q.  What are the maximum number of credits allowed for a degree?

A.  All students must complete their degrees within the maximum credits allowed (150% of the published normal length of the academic program). Attempted credits include all graded courses, transferred courses, testing credits, pass/fails, repeats, audits, and grades of F, NC, and K. 


Q.  How do I request an extension to the maximum number of credits?

A.  Complete a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form for Maximum Credits and submit it to the Financial Aid Office for consideration. Be sure to include a letter of explanation detailing why you were unable to complete your intended degree in the allowed time frame as well as a plan of study listing the courses/semesters required until graduation.


Q.  What is the deadline for appealing for reinstatement?

A.  Students appealing for reinstatement of financial aid must have begun the appeal process by the Friday of the first full week of the semester to be reviewed for consideration for that semester.


Q.  What do I need to do to allow my parents/spouse access to my financial aid information?

A.  Because the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits the information that can be released concerning a student's records without written permission, we advise students to complete a Student Information Release Form if they wish parents and/or spouse access to their records.  


Q.  How many credits do you have to take to be considered full time?

A.  For financial aid purposes full time is 12+ credits. 


Q.  Do I have to attend full time to receive financial aid?

A.  No. Financial aid is awarded based on the number of credits for which a student is enrolled. There are four levels: full time is 12+ credits, three-quarter time is 9-11 credits, half time is 6-8 credits, and less than half time is 1-5 credits.


Q.  I want to attend less than half time. Can I still take out a student loan?

A.  No. In order to qualify for a loan you must be enrolled at least half time (6 credits). However, it is possible to receive a Pell grant award for less than half time if eligible.


Q.  Why was I selected for verification?

A.  Students are selected to have their FAFSA information verified based on criteria set by federal regulations or if the Financial Aid Office detects any conflicting or incomplete information in incoming FAFSA information.