Meeting with an Advisor
Your guide on your educational journey
Advising is a key component of your educational success and the responsibility of both student and advisor. An advisor is responsible for offering comprehensive and correct information. An advisor is a facilitator of communication, a coordinator of the learning experience, and a referral agent who helps the student define and develop realistic academic and career goals. An advisor perceives the needs of the student in attaining these goals, and then helps the student to successfully match these needs with available institutional resources.
The student (advisee) is responsible for:
- Knowing who their advisor is and how to contact him/her
- Developing a collaborative relationship with their advisor
- Scheduling advising appointments prior to registration or other deadlines
- Being prepared for the advising appointment (knowing the purpose of the visit, what courses are being offered, having an idea of what courses they need and want to take, being able to discuss interests and goals with the advisors)
- Familiarizing themselves with core, program, and graduation requirements
- Consulting with their advisor before altering their outlined study plan (i.e. dropping or adding a course)
- Consulting with their advisor if they are having academic difficulty
- Consulting with their advisor if changing major, transferring to another institution, or withdrawing from the college
- Meeting with their advisor at least once a semester in order to be released for registration (meeting more often will foster a collaborative relationship)
- Asking questions and seeking help if they have issues or concerns
- Becoming knowledgeable and able to make informed decisions
- Accepting responsibility for the decisions they make
Prepare for your Advising Appointment
To prepare for your meeting with your advisor, gather together the following tools (at least one of these three plus your ability to access WarriorWeb):
- A copy of your Degree Audit from WarriorWeb - In the WebAdvisor for Students Menu, under the Academic Planning section, you will find the Degree Audit-Program Evaluation tab. Print this off and bring it with you.There is a great deal of information in the Degree Audit.
- A copy of your Student Planning work from WarriorWeb - In the WebAdvisor for Students Menu,under the Academic Planning section, you will find Register for Sections and Student Planning. Information for the classes you have chosen in Student Planning will assist your advisor in helping you to make plan adjustments or approving it for registration. Here are the instructions for Student Planning.
- A copy of your Program Plan from the College Catalog - Your program plan outlines the courses that are required for your major along with the options you have within categories. To find your major's program plan, you will go to the College Catalog, choose Academic Programs, click on the Division your major is located in (see list of divisions and majors) and then choose your major and print the program plan.
- Be sure that you can access your WarriorWeb - Go to https://warriorweb.lcsc.edu and then "Enter", followed by "Log In". You will need to complete your "Conditions of Registration". If you have forgotten your login information, go to "What's my User ID?". Be sure that your password works, and if it doesn't, go to "What's my password?". Be sure that you can log into your LCMail as that is where your temporary password will be sent. If you can't log into your LCMail, contact the Help Desk at (208) 792-2231 prior to your meeting time with your advisor.
Be sure to ask where your advisor's office is located (building and room number). If you can't make your appointment, call your advisor prior to your meeting time as they have set this time aside for you. Go to a directory of faculty and staff